Social media has allowed hate and extremism to spread faster and further than ever before, which causes real harm to real people. The campaign #StopHateForProfit is getting stronger these days. Last week many of the celebrities Froze their Facebook and Instagram account for 24 hours.
Now the celebrities have come up with a petition. Top celebrities like Dicaprio and Katy Perry share those links in their social media story and Bio, also urges the public and fans to join them by signing this petition.
Katy Perry posted on Instagram sharing the petition link, The singer described it as “Facebook has allowed racism, hate, and dangerous disinformation (about COVID, the election…the list goes on!) to amplify and spread on their platform. It’s time for this to end. Join me & make your voice heard by signing the petition. It’s about damn time for Facebook to #StopHateForProfit stophateforprofit.org/demand-change or sign at the link in my bio”. Earlier the singer had also taken part in Freezing her social accounts for 24 hours.
Oscar-winner Dicaprio also shared the petition, and urged the public to join him, the actor captioned the post as follows “Facebook continues to recommend groups and posts that promote disinformation and glorify violence to its users. This has gone on for years and the platform has yet to take meaningful action. Enough is enough. Please join me in signing this petition to tell Facebook it’s time to #StopHateForProfit. Visit stophateforprofit.org/demand-change (link in bio and story)”. The actor also was a participant in freezing social account as a part of #StopHateForProfit campaign
As the US approaches one of its most consequential elections in American history, The Stop Hate for Profit coalition demands that Facebook adopt the following changes in time for the U.S. presidential election.
They put forward certain conditions regarding the Racism, Violence and Hate, they are;
- Takedown groups focused on white supremacy, militia, antisemitism, Islamophobia, and violent conspiracies
- Increase resources focused on monitoring groups for hate speech and violence
- Change platform policy to forbid any event page with a call to arms, as highlighted by Muslim Advocates and the Change the Terms coalition.
- Commit 5% of their annual revenue to an independently administered fund to support initiatives, academics and organizations doing the work to fight against racism, hate and division caused by Facebook’s inaction.
The Stop Hate For profit also have put forward certain demands regarding the Election misinformation;
- Ensure accuracy in political and voting matters by eliminating the politician exemption.
- Remove misinformation related to voting that has been debunked by credible fact-checkers.
- Prohibit calls to violence by politicians in any format.
If the Facebook management is not taking any action regarding this issue, it will put the platform in greater trouble. The people are expecting such that the Facebook will make the right decision.