Joaquin Phoenix is an American actor and producer. He has received numerous awards and nominations, including an Academy Award, a Grammy Award, and two Golden Globe Awards. Some fascinating facts about the actor who has amazed us with his performance in Joker.
Joker is a 2019 American psychological thriller film directed and produced by Todd Phillips, who co-wrote the screenplay with Scott Silver. Joker premiered at the 76th Venice International Film Festival on August 31, 2019, where it received an eight-minute standing ovation and won the Golden Lion award.
Joaquin Phoenix Joker overview
Joker selected at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2019. The film was released theatrically by Warner Bros. Pictures on October 4, 2019, in the United States, and a day earlier in Australia and several other international markets. On November 16, 2019, it screened at the White House for President Donald Trump, who reportedly enjoyed the film. Following its nominations at various awards shows the film scheduled to be re-released in theaters across North America, beginning on January 17, 2020. However, there are some movies in which the lead actors work stands out in such a way that it seems the movie’s success is almost all due to their talent. Such is the case of Joaquin Phoenix.
Joaquin Phoenix as Joker:
A mentally ill, impoverished stand-up comedian disregarded by society, whose history of abuse causes him to become a rebellious criminal. Phoenix had been interested in a low-budget “character study” of a comic book character and said the film “feels unique, it is its world in some ways, and maybe, It might as well be the thing that scares you the most.” Phoenix lost 52 pounds (24 kg) in preparation, and based his laugh on “videos of people suffering from pathological laughter.”
He also sought to portray a character who audiences could not identify with and did not look to previous Joker actors for inspiration; instead, he read a book about political assassinations to understand killers and motivations. Phoenix believes that Fleck is the actual Joker; however, director Todd Phillips said that he intentionally left it ambiguous as to whether Arthur becomes the practical Joker as seen in traditional Batman stories or inspires a separate character.
Joaquin Phoenix incredible facts:
- Joaquin Phoenix announced that he would stop his acting career in 2018.
- Joaquin was born with a scar on his lip.
- The actor began his career alongside his four-year-old brother River Phoenix.
- The acting career started in 1986 when he was 12 years old.
- At the age of four, the young boy decided the change his name to be more in touch with nature called himself Leaf.
- Throughout his career, he has appeared in more than 30 films.
- A strong vegetarian and spokesman for PETA, for which he has appeared in many videos.
- In Joker, Phoenix studied the behavior of people with this symptom thoroughly for months until he managed to perform the single laugh correctly.
- In Ladder 49, Joaquin played a firefighter who forced to face a massive fire to save a family. He worked as a firefighter for a whole month to practice for a role.
- Joaquin followed a strict diet that helped him lose almost 45 pounds for Joker.
- Joaquin has nominated for an Oscar 3 times.
- Joaquin produced the documentary, What the Health.
- Joaquin favors talking to his fans instead of taking pictures
- Joaquin comes back in 2010 after his retirement announcement.
- Joaquin wins the Oscar for Best Actor for his role in “Joker”.
- He’s the third of 5 siblings and the son of an artistic couple traveling through Central and South America at the time.
- The album he recorded for the film was awarded a Grammy for “Best Compilation Soundtrack.”
- A 10-year-old boy, along with other comrades, enters a summer camp where he becomes an astronaut for a film role.
- He’s been vegan since he was 3. For more Entertainment news click here.